Adapting 1:1 marketing to modern times is not about opinion or emotion – it’s about the data. In everything from social listening, to determining how precious marketing dollars are to be invested, to predictive analytics, to optimal segmentation and channel mix – DMA members manage by the numbers. While others are just beginning to recognize the power and importance of data-driven marketing, DMA has been the voice of our industry for nearly 100 years.
As the DMA Fiscal Year ends this month, I want to quickly highlight some of the core accomplishments of the past year:
- The launch of a first-of-its kind Value of Data study conducted by professors from Harvard Business School and Columbia University with the DMA Data-Driven Marketing Institute.
- An expanding roster of members— including Google, E*Trade, Adobe, IBM and the U.S. Military — now use our Education services as a core part of their marketing innovation strategies. DMA education “professors” are industry practitioners and also teach at some of the best marketing schools including NYU, Columbia University, the University of California and Johns Hopkins.
- Our Ethical Marketing Guidelines were updated in January to include new sections on data security, mobile apps and protecting children.
- An innovative and thought provoking DMA Nonprofit Federation Leadership Summit brought together dozens of senior level leaders to help shape the future of fundraising.
- The DMA Nonprofit Ethics Committee released a new Nonprofit Accountability Dashboard to help donors understand how funds are being spent.
- The business of successful data-driven marketing was conducted in Chicago at DMA2013, and positive results are still going from the connections and conversation there. DMA2014 will Ignite Customer Engagement this October with an unparalleled line–up of sessions and speakers, a refreshed exhibit hall and new approach to helping each industry segment find their specific value.
- Our second annual Integrated Marketing Week changed the game for marketing events this year – bringing together leaders who are already doing what we all dream of: Customer-centric Integrated Marketing. It was so successful, that we are going to do it on both coasts next year.
- We released our Five Fundamentals agenda to protect our industry from needless regulation. To that end, DMA represented data-driven marketing in dozens of testimonies before Congress and federal and state agencies. We earned a victory in Colorado over a sales tax issue, and despite attempts from Congress, the White House and the FTC, successfully prevented the passage of any new privacy or “data broker” legislation. In fact, CBS 60 Minutes called DMA one of the most powerful lobbying groups in America.
Even more exciting is the year ahead. Our investments will be in the areas that members tell us are important:
- Events that matter and deliver relevant insights and speakers to grow your organization;
- New and expanded Communities of members who meet, share knowledge and network in areas of common interest, develop case studies and author important industry white papers;
- Education and professional certification in areas that are essential for sophisticated, powerful and successful marketing;
- More accessible ethical guidelines to build consumer trust; and reduce your organization’s vulnerability;
- Effective advocacy and public awareness of responsible marketing; and
- More effective networking and business growth opportunities.
We can deliver all this because we continue to serve, listen to and tap the talent of the DMA membership. The power of DMA comes from our influential and diverse pool of members that range from industry titans like IBM and American Express, to market creators like Google, E*Trade and Facebook, to digital marketing innovators like LiveRamp and Return Path. DMA membership includes organizations of all sizes, from all business sectors, and in all stages of development.
DMA President Jane Berzan and I, along with the DMA Board of Directors and the entire team here are very much focused on helping data-driven marketers harness the opportunity ahead for their organizations and career growth.